Thursday 29 January 2015

First Quilt (proper) Part 5

Well, I am getting there - finally!  Made up the deficiency in numbers - 72 squares out - boy not really a deficiency is it?  Nearly another quilt - lol!

Anyhoo I have begun to sew my squares together.  Following advice from web-buddies on 'sewmamasewcircle', I am sewing rows of single squares and then sewing these single rows together.

I have also broken out the electric sewing machine too.  It is so much easier having two hands to guide the material through.  I won't become a convert though, I still love the sound of my hand-crank and love the control it gives me.  I can see the benefits of the electric one though and won't be so reluctant to use it in future - we all have to move on eventually or we get left behind!  Gosh, hark at me!

Apologies for the blurriness of the photographs - hubby did these on his phone - kids out and needed the photos now before I continued with the last single rows to be sewn together.

Now all I have to do is to decide whether to 'quilt as I go' or sew it all together and then quilt it.  Really not sure as this is the first quilt I have made and it is sooooooo big and going to be so bulky.  I was advised to maybe not put any wadding in between the top and backing layers. However I think this may not be an option as the seams on the denim are quite thick - don't want to sew it and then find that the seams are uncomfortable.

I will have to wait until the next ice hockey match to put the quilt together and pin it so I can see how much there will be to sew if I go with the wadding - I need the front room floor to spread the materials out.  Hey ho!  Updates to come..............

No comments:

Post a Comment