Thursday 17 March 2022

Wilting whilst Quilting

I have now deconstructed the 'new' shirts, cut them into squares and have been sewing 7 squares together.  I need 9 strips of 7 and I am using 6 plain with 1 patterned square.  I have put the squares cut from a shirt into a pile which I am then randomly picking from as I go, hoping that when I come to sew the strips together, I won't have any squares from the same pile together.  I know I could work this out one strip at a time but that would make the quilt predetermined rather than random.  Each strip has been ironed so the seams were in the 'open' position making it easy for my machine to cope with the 'bulk' of material going through it.

I then placed each strip flat on the settee so I could arrange them in such a way to ensure that there would be no two squares alike next to one another.  Each strip was numbered to help me when I put them together and so I began putting 2 strips together, slowly to ensure that the seams remained open.  

Unfortunately, the label showing no. 7 was a little too close to the edge of the square and I managed to sew it into the seam (see photo below)  Fortunately the sticky label was made of quite thin paper so it wasn't a problem taking it out of the stitching. Phew!!

The rest of the assembly went very smoothly and the patchwork side of the quilt was done.  Each seam was ironed and with this done, I began working on the label.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment