Thursday 5 May 2022

Remembering me Bears

Having finished Albert's wedding outfit, I was deciding on my next project when a friend asked if I would make her something from the clothes from a relative who had died during lockdown.  On further discussion, she decided that she wanted some (!) teddy bears and a couple of cushions making up for the families.  As the memory bear pattern would make up too big for the purpose, I suggested the Psycho Bear pattern due to it being that much smaller.  That settled I waited for her to drop off the clothes and to start proper.

She duly brought a bag of clothing and I began to sort it into colour ways so that each bear would be different.  I had a variety of teddy joints,  coloured eyes and noses/wool for the features so they were all gathered together and organised.  My machine was cleaned and oiled, new needles found and the table cleared for the mammoth cut out.  (Personally hate this process!)

Once the pattern pieces were cut, I realised that the cotton fabric was too thin to make up for the bears to last any kind of long term handling so I added lining to each piece.  In hindsight I should have realised this as the items of clothing were already lined and I had removed all the lining thinking I wouldn't need it.  So a hateful process was made twice as odious as I now had to recut all 4 bears' pattern pieces again only in lining.  (Deep breath.  Did I mention that I hate this part?).

Finally I had a pile of bear - and lining - pieces on the table along with their eyes, thread for nose and ribbon for neck bows/ties.

Two of the bears were for brothers, two were for daughters so, although I know we are supposed to be all equal etc and not gender specific, I didn't think that the guys would appreciate bears made with flowers on the fabric so I made their out of the darker, less flowery material but ensured that the ones for the two girls included more flowers.  I fussy cut the pieces for the inner ear and paws and was well impressed with the final products.


Finished bear left (minus bow) and bears in progress above.  I had already finished one bear and it had been given to one of the guys.  All recipients have loved their memory bear.  Now on to the cushions. (More cutting out 😣) LOL

See you later 💖



No comments:

Post a Comment