Thursday 19 October 2023

Dining Chairs (part 2)

 Well.  Making the pattern was relatively easy.  The chairs have piping around the side and seat so I was able to use this as an 'edge' for the pattern making the outline my sewing line.  I made notes on each piece to state sewing and/or cutting line and as each piece was cut, I pinned them around the chair and adjusted where required.  Again relatively easy.

There were a few areas where I couldn't quite get the gist of how I was going to shape it but carried on regardless hoping that the sewing part would (hopefully) sort it out.  


The chair remained in this state for about a week as I was trying to make a final decision on the fabric choice (see below).  My fabric choices, I thought, would need to accent the existing colour of the room - vintage cream and dark green (accent wall) - or be a total opposite to make a statement.  I found three different fabrics  - cream linen, gold(ish) brocade (I think its brocade anyway) and an embossed ivory upholstery fabric. I have yards of the cream linen so decided to use this as the first pattern trial.

cream linen  pre washed       gold(ish) brocade            ivory upholstery

Once I had the pattern cut and pinned, I had to decide how I was going to sew the front side corners. I had pinned them as you make a bed corner firstly with the excess fabric underneath the top and folding to the front, secondly with the excess folded to the side.  Either solution seemed reasonable.  However, once I came to sew the corners up, I realised that the excess fabric was going to cause more of a problem just being there so I simply pinned where the corner was, joining the front and side pieces together and sewed straight up.  I think once the fabric has been ironed/pressed it will sit better (no pun intended!) and will obviously soften the more it is sat upon.

So here are the photos of my 'maiden' chair cover.  There are still a few pattern issues to deal with but I am really chuffed with the result.  I now need to cut out four versions of the pattern and fit each one separately.  I have decided - if I have enough fabric - to cover two linen and two ivory upholstery.  Best of both worlds.  The gold(ish) brocade looks to be a little out of my comfort zone regards to preventing fraying so I have returned it back to my hoard stash for a different project.


Halloween is nearly upon us and my daughter has decided she going to host a pumpkin carving/film/birthday party this weekend for one of her bridesmaids.  Guess the table will see the light of day sooner than I thought.  Ah well. Gonna have to find some time between now and December to complete the four covers as we need them for Christmas Dinner!  See you soon. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment