Saturday 6 May 2017

Hunt for Red Rhinoceros (can't be red though)!!

Ok.  So having made lots of Panda teddy bears, a Psycho Ted and Boner Bear (yes, that is exactly what it is!!), I have now been tasked with making a 3-horned (!) rhino.

Having lost countless hours looking for a pattern, I finally came across this one on the Craftsy site: www.craftsy.com/sewing/patterns/rhino-plush-sewing-pattern/115977

I cleared my desk, found some fabric - tired onesie and some leftover fleece from a teddy bear made for Psycho Ted's 'dad's grandson' - and set to work.

We got off to a bad start as I couldn't get my head around one of the instructions but then, after a chat to my daughter, Emma, I suddenly realised I had cut the pieces out of the fabric before gluing pieces of the paper pattern together to make longer pieces.  Confused?  So was I to start with!  Anyhoo, finally got my head around it, glued the pieces, recut the fabric and set off again.

The making of the toy was actually then quite easy.  My machine has just been re-serviced and has come back better than ever!  I say re-serviced because it had gone to my 'usual' engineer but had come back a little noisier than it had gone and had developed a new problem of thread snapping at the wrong moment - if there ever is a good moment.....  So I had found someone new and taken my machine which had a little 'metal fatigue' which was quickly sorted and as I said, come back better than ever!

So as I was now in the zone, I don't have any photos of Ronny being put together but the pattern pretty much shows it all - just in an animal print fleece, rather than a grey image on the paper.  Here is the finished photo of Ronny.

Can't quite decide which is his best side so you get two for the price of one :)

However, on further conversations with 'my customer' - and at this point I think it would be fair to say that most of them have taken place when we have both had a couple of sherbets (!!) - I realised that Ronny wasn't going to do; he was the wrong shape.  What I mean is that Ronny needed to be in the vertical position rather than being horizontal.

B***er!! :(  back to the drawing board.





No comments:

Post a Comment