Wednesday 1 October 2014

Completed Satchels

These are the last big projects I have made.  It goes without saying that I have used my Singer hand-crank machine but I had to bite the bullet and use one of my electric machines as this pattern called for button holes.  My goodness, that was a baptism of fire!!!  However, the instruction booklet was very clear and I practiced loads on scrap pieces of fabric - this pile seems to be getting bigger also (note to self - book a few days off work, load Pinterest and lose myself looking for 'what-to-do-with- scraps' patterns!!)



Anyhoo, allfreesewing.com came up trumps with this pattern - the Kennedy Bag - and once I had sifted through the yards and yards of fabric I have collected (have I mentioned I am a bit of a hoarder..?), I set about making the bag. (http://www.allfreesewing.com/Bags-and-Purses/The-Kennedy-Bag)

I made notes on the pattern itself for things I would do differently next time and/or difficult bits I need to stop my DVD of Bones for and concentrate (listen/watch these whilst sewing - I am in my own little world).  Once I had posted the photo on Facebook - I really was really chuffed at my black/red creation - a friend of mine asked for a blue and black one.

I was glad I had made the notes and although the blue one took longer - wanted a better quality finish as it was a gift to a friend - I thought it actually had turned out better than mine.  I will revisit the pattern but maybe size it down and I will definitely add a metal snap fastener to the next one.  By then I am hoping to have conquered my fear of using the electric machines.  At least I have moved them off the floor! Yes, it may only be to the new top shelf in my newly named sewing room, but at least I can see them now.  Unfortunately the gap left on the floor means I have space for another storage box which means more fabric........ Sew much material, Sew little time............

No comments:

Post a Comment