Friday 3 October 2014

Favourite Pocketful

With the success of my shopping bag project - (totes galore post) - I needed to 'up the anti' and try a pattern with extras.  I can't add buttons, zips etc as my machine doesn't have the facilities to do this and at the time I hadn't done anything like this and confidence was only just beginning to grow.

I remembered seeing a pattern for a bag in the latest edition of allpeoplequilt.com so I trawled through my copies and eventually found it.   (Pattern: http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/bags-pillows-gifts/bags-and-purses/pick-pocket-purse).  The instructions were clear, easy to follow and the results were great.

I made the full size bag several time and with different types and designs of fabric - like I said, you can't have too many bags! - but my favourite one is the one pictured.  The fabrics just work together and it is just the right size for putting in toiletries etc when you go away.   I believe that choice of fabric is the most important decision to make when making anything - I have made some pretty bad decisions and the bags are collecting dust under my bed! 

The dark green fabric creates 6 outside pockets so there is no need for anymore inside - I think there is a limit to the number of pockets you can add, especially in a small bag.  As the fabric used was thick - almost upholstery quality - I had to be forceful getting my machine to sew the corners.  I have since made box corners by cutting out the square piece first.  This would have made lining up the seams so much easier but I found that lots of pins, plasters and coppers for my swear tin helped!                                                                                                                                                                                                                       The bag has a professional looking finish (even though I do say so myself) and is a lovely, sturdy little addition to my collection.



No comments:

Post a Comment