Wednesday 1 October 2014

Stockings for Guys

Being a big fan of Christmas and having two kids who now just hold their hands out for money, I started spreading Christmas cheer a little early last year and started the HUGE (!!) task of making some little individual stockings for our largest customer.  I am really good at giving myself challenges without really thinking them through and had already 'sort of' promised the guys that there would be something different for them this year instead of the usual tins of chocolates/biscuits etc.

Still oblivious to the work I had set myself, I started looking for a pattern to use and many hours later - gosh Pinterest  many hours lost there without realising! - and no further forward - I remembered that I had a pair of baby socks in my office (now definitely morphed into my sewing room) which I had decided to have a go at and try making a sock puppy.  (That project will also be on here - don't hold your breath!!)


So eventually, once I had found it - suddenly I have realised alarmingly that I am a hoarder of fabric, when did that happen!!? - I took one of the baby's sock and used it to 'create' my own stocking pattern.  I then had to cut 20 pieces from both white and green fleece.  Alternating the colours and linings, I made the linings larger than the outside pieces sufficient enough so that when the final piece was turned inside out, the extra lining appeared as the stocking top.

I then faffed about with some fonts on Microsoft Word to come up with the initials of the guys in the office to be added to the fronts of the stockings.  These were then cut out of both white and green fabric as well as a few different colours (just because I could) so that I could play with the 'design'.  When I was happy with my letters and the colours - found simple to be the way to go (why break the habit of a lifetime!!) - I then set to and attached all the letters to the stockings.

The letters were sown onto the right sides, centrally so that when the seams were sewn the letters did not catch and disappear into the seams.  This was the most frustrating bit as I didn't know it was in the wrong place until the stocking was nearly done.  Many cross words were said until they were all done.

It was just then a simple task of sewing the stocking together making sure that I left a gap so I could turn it right side out.  Again this was faffy.  I really must learn to sew with an electric sewing machine so that I have two hands to manoeuvre material rather than just the one!  My hand-crank Singer is great as I have complete control over the speed but boy, it must be so much quicker and easier with two hands!!! lol

I finished off the stocking by hand sewing a small loop of ribbon into the top (must add this to the side seam if I decide to make any more) so that the stocking could be hung up on the tree or wherever.......

Needless to say five nights later and a few more coppers in the swear-tin, my project was complete.  The stockings were filled with a small toy car, chocolate, candy cane and a party popper.  With hindsight I could have put a party hat and blower in but as a token I thought they were great. 

Very satisfying to know that I had set out to do something I hadn't done before, sorted it, planned it and executed it with not a bad finish.  Even if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment