Saturday 4 October 2014

Paper Piercing Quilting


Whilst I was at school, a girlfriend of mine showed me how to make a patchwork quilt using a hexagon template, scraps of material and lots of patience!  A few years later I remembered this and started to make my own.  The worst bit of the whole project is making the templates, however once you have a pile of virgin paper templates you just can't help yourself.  I find this stage the most therapeutic - I can sit and make the individual pieces all night and can do this in front of the telly not sitting on my own in the sewing/library.

Not really knowing how to make formal patterns with the hexagon template I 'shuffled' my stacks of pieces and set to hand-stitching them together.  (My eldest daughter has had to inspect the examples shown in the photographs as she didn't/couldn't believe that I had actually sewn stitches so small by hand).

I have all these projects done and now I have my machine I can finish them with a lining as well as a pillow/cushion pad. 






There are a couple I haven't decided on what to do with mainly the cream and brown piece.  This was made with squares and triangles - can't remember where I saw the design but looks pretty good...






This pastel project I think will be finished to make a throw or blanket - again not sure
 
 
 
 
 
This one I think I will just put a sturdy backing on and use it as a table runner/doily - maybe even put it underneath a plant (it's not that I haven't got a 'million' of those to chose from.  Seems I also collect plants too....)

Now I have the projects in my eye line, I will finish them off and maybe even break out an electric machine.................... Mmmmm  Catch you later and let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment