Friday 3 October 2014

Totes Galore

When the sewing bug really hit me I spent many hours looking for patterns to try and I felt that bags and totes etc would be a good place to start what with straight line cutting and sewing.  As my vintage, hand crank Singer only does straight stitch I wanted to gain experience and practice with various fabrics etc whilst still creating something functional and (hopefully) practical and good to look at.

I had tried my hand at some Christmas Stockings - no pattern or photo - as Kirsty Allsop had made it look soooo easy on her TV programme I thought I could do it too.  They didn't turn out too shabby either and made quite a talking point that year!

I eventually found this pattern (Pattern: http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/bags-pillows-gifts/bags-and-purses/canvas-tote-bag) and used some of my fabric (hoard) to create the red bag shown.  I adapted (already getting ideas) the handle by rolling up the handle with fleece inside and then top sewing it.  In my many years (steady on) of shopping, I have struggled with the shoulder bags that cut into your skin and carrier bags that cut the circulation off in your fingers so I wanted a little bit of comfort where it mattered.  The bag has a fleece layer between the outer and inner fabrics - (yes it is lined, with the plain red fabric), and once loaded is very comfortable to carry.  As I usually shop with a handbag for the obligatory purse, phone, tape measure, pen, nail file..etc..... etc...... I didn't need a pocket in the bag so it was really just straight stitching.  I was really happy with the end result and it is used quite often.
With a little more confidence now I had one under my belt, I scaled down the measurements and used cotton fabric instead of the heavier one I had used for my shopper.  I also left out the fleece layer in the bag and the handles and the results are also shown.  The smaller one could be used for goody bags and the middle sized bag for gifts, lunch, school shoes, cosmetics etc - they would make ideal halloween trick or treat bags in the right fabric (would also be tempted to leave out the lining if the fabric was heavy enough).

Another project, another bag - you can never have enough bags! ;0)




No comments:

Post a Comment