Friday 3 October 2014

Quilted Bag

Me and my hand-crank Singer have come a long way and I really wanted to try my hand at quilting.  My only experience in this area has been the long nights where I have sat and made cushion covers using the hexagon paper template, hand-sewing around the edges and removing the templates.  Note to self: must find last project to finish it - would make excellent blanket for rocker (not to mention blog). 

Anyhoo, again trawling through my sources I came upon this pattern and decided to give it a go..... (http://www.allpeoplequilt/bags-pillows-gift/bags-andpurses/quilted-tote-bag)  

I already had the fabric in mind I wanted to use and as you can see from the photo, I was absolutely right.  The bag took a weekend to make - this did not include the cutting out - and my concentration span increased significantly.  The making of the bag itself wasn't much of a challenge, it was the quilting which took the time.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      I practiced a little on scrap pieces but finally bit the bullet and quilted the pocket. I used a pencil feintly on the lining to draw lines as I wanted to make the finish as professional looking as I could and didn't want wonky quilting lines on the front of the bag.  (I can hear all the sharp intakes of breath as I type but I didn't know how else to do this at the time and it once I had sewn my lines, the pencil line disappeared)   I felt much happier about the effect when the pocket was finished and so followed the same process when I quilted the bag body.   

The finished bag is lovely.  I am so proud of myself.  It may only be straight line quilting but my first attempt looks great and I can't wait 'til I can try out this technique when I have mastered the art of sewing with an electric machine!!  The possibilities are endless......................... (don't hold your breath) :0D 





No comments:

Post a Comment