Friday 3 October 2014

Cushty!

Once upon a time, my dad inherited the old rocking chair from his mum when she died.  At that time, we were all living at home and it wasn't a problem finding a place for it.  My mum spent hours and hours stripping it down, rubbing it down with wire wool and bringing it back to life.  It was then lovingly varnished and took centre stage in our then 'music room' next to the piano (which also came from Grandma's).                                                                                                                                                                                                                     When they moved from their 5 bedroom semi, to a one bedroom bungalow, I thought that the rocker would be one of the first things to be reallocated to a charity shop or given away, but Mum wouldn't let it go.  'I spent too many hours restoring that chair for someone else to benefit' or words to that effect, so low and behold, the rocker - already well traveled - was taken from Barnby Dun to Tickhill and took pride of place in her bedroom.

Over the years it became less of a chair and more of an extra storage system for the many items of medical equipment required for my dad.  

When we had to clear the bungalow when both my Mum and dad passed, there was no question - whatever we did, the chair had to come home.  I remember sitting in it at my Grandma's and I remembered the work my Mum had put into restoring it so there was no argument.

The chair resides in my sewing room.  The two cushions my Mum made are still with it but I wanted to create something different and add my personality, if you like, to the chair.  I found a pattern for a cushion cover (Pattern: http://so-sew-easy.com/woven-fabric-pillow-cover/) and spent two days creating this.  

Two days of making binding strips, weaving, sewing and attempting my own piping - all with my trusty hand-crank Singer.  I am not satisfied with the piping (yes there is piping around the edge) - I think the cord I used was a little too stiff and when I summon up enough courage, I will try again on the second one.  However it's a 'doo-fa' and looks ok.

If the cover itself wasn't challenging enough, I also decided to try my hand at piping.  Various sites, blogs and articles kept telling me it wasn't difficult to do but you needed the right tools - don't you always?!  I found an accessory pack of Singer sewing machine feet on Ebay (more daylight hours lost!!) and tried out the piping/zipper foot.  The accessories were really for the old electric machine but the fitting was the same so I thought why not?  I really, really must learn how to use the electric machine so I have two hands free - trying to sew, steer and hold down material is hard enough with one hand whilst the other 'drives' the machine never mind the added complication of piping!! A few more coppers in the swear tin I am afraid...
Anyhoo here is the finished article.  Newly found and used, fabulous invention - freezer paper!  Thanks to the lady in the local craft shop for suggesting it.  Next time - if I ever recover - I will use more different colour stripes.



No comments:

Post a Comment